Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOT WATER AT RIVER RANCH PROPERTY  (Read 9215 times)
icegirl4x4

I love my 4-wheeler!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:52:11 PM »

We just drilled a well out at our property in River Ranch, where we go riding.  Any suggestions on the best setup for hot water?  I hear they make hot water heaters that are run by propane, which is what we will need.  How many gallons would be appropriate?  Any suggestions on the best place to shop for this?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Tammy
2005 Kawasaki Prairie 700!
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:27:44 PM »

Team_Leader posted this link on www.floridaatv.com

http://www.funinbc.com/camping/hottubs/hottub.htm

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:23:26 PM »

I plan on using a generator and a electric water heater. I have heard of some using the 40gal and smaller, depending on what the generator will handle. Another one is an in-line tank less heater, I might go that way, much smaller in size. You just have to keep an eye on the load on the generator. A heater that draws 30 amps uses 3600 watts, then you have to add the pump's use. If you have a generator that is 5000 or more, you should be OK.

One more is a shower head with a heater built in. Don't know anything about them, but sounds like the way to go if it heats up enough. I think I heard of them being used down on the islands.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 07:12:14 PM »

Here's one gas heater I found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-L-M-Whole-House-Instant-Hot-Water-Heater-Propane-Only_W0QQitemZ6031107147QQcategoryZ3191QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 07:48:18 PM »

An electric heated shower head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-TANKLESS-ELECTRIC-SHOWER-WATER-HEATER-RV-CAMPER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQitemZ4607750450QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bo322

****FMR****

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:49:14 PM »

Here are a few small portables.

http://www.hotcampshowers.com/products51784.html
Bo322

****FMR****

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:52:05 PM »

Some more.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihottaptravelshower.html
Bo322

****FMR****

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 10:53:35 PM »

One from Coleman

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=2348
Bo322

****FMR****

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 10:58:46 PM »

OR.......

For the do-it-yourselfer on a limited budget...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1980_March_April/A_Portable_Solar_Water_Heater
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 03:27:55 AM »

Thats not a bad idea. I have a turkey fryer and pour water in the pot and heat it up with it and then I have a 12 volt pump that I plug into my quad and run the pump from there. Pump it straight from the pot. I have found that the turkey fryer has a lot of uses. I have an old weber grill that I took the parts off of it and set it on the cooker part and now I have the best gas grill ever for camping. I also take a pan and a small pot and now I can cook eggs or whatever and heat water for instant grits or to make hot tea.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
qt314nfla

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 03:41:04 AM »

FYI on the portable hot showers.  I was given a Zodi as a Christmas present.  I tried it and didn't like it for a multitude of reasons.  You have to use a match to light it and can see the visable flames.  In a real camping situation there isn't always level ground and this one requires it.  It is not stable enough at a double propane burner to stand on unlevel ground.  I had mine turned on high and it melted the outgoing water hose.  I thought it was going to explode because of the sounds it was making.  At the time there were several children around so I dove in to shut it off.  The outgoing water hose is a cheap grade.  The actual shower head is attached so you have a short reign to get it into a shower enclosure and if you pull on it you'll knock it over and start something on fire.  The shower head output has as weak of pressure as one of the hanging bags that you set in the sun.  The battery enclosure rusted very quickly and in order to turn it on and off I had to take the batteries out.  This all after two uses with the unit.

I returned it and got the coleman instant hot water heater instead.  I absolutely love it.  If you're looking for a portable you can ask Muddbuggy and CrazyCracker as well as a few others that have used it.  Works well and I love my camp shower set up.

Nice thing about this is hot water is instant for dishes or showers or hot coffee in the morning.  It also has an adapter for a large propane bottle like for the grill.  It also comes with an attachment for a hose so you can either bring your own water or instantly heat it up from the hose.  I can tell you it gets VERY hot immediately.

I suspect though that you are looking for something more like a house heater that will work in a motor home or hunting camp set up inside.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:45:28 AM by QT314Nfla » Logged
garym
Supreme Member

four wheeling or fishing, it always takes gas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 09:33:08 AM »

or you can do it the redneck way...
55 gallon drum on a stand-turkey fryer under it-warm 55 gal drum until water temp is to your liking.  Turn off and put away.  Water drum remains in the stand until next time and do it again.  Also, paint the drum black to absorb the sun rays and you will be surprised how warm it will get on its own.
garym
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

fillt he drum with your home water.  The well water at RR stinks of sulfur
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 10:11:55 AM »

I have a old bathtub that I jacked up on bricks and I just build a fire under it.  Wink

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
DjLeOo

Shut up and Ride !!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »

I have a old bathtub that I jacked up on bricks and I just build a fire under it.  Wink

You lie like a dog !!!! LOL LOL he actually pays one of us to sit under it with a lighter !! LOL LOL usually the scrub brothers do it !!!!

Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »

You lie like a dog !!!! LOL LOL he actually pays one of us to sit under it with a lighter !! LOL LOL usually the scrub brothers do it !!!!

only cause we are scared of you cubans. you might take us out on your raft and throw us overboard.

back on subject, I like the instant coleman like QT has, those things are nice.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
DjLeOo

Shut up and Ride !!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

only cause we are scared of you cubans. you might take us out on your raft and throw us overboard.

LOL LOL Tooooo funny !!!!  Good one !!!

Cant wait to go back to River Ranch !!!! Ill bring you some Empanadas !! & Home Made Cuban Croquets !!

MMMmmmmm

klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 09:49:23 PM »

Cant wait to go back to River Ranch !!!! Ill bring you some Empanadas !! & Home Made Cuban Croquets !!

MMMmmmmm
i want in on that ride Roll Eyes
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »

MMMmmmmm
i want in on that ride Roll Eyes

dude, back off my food before I gotta get violent.  Grin

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
icegirl4x4

I love my 4-wheeler!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.  I really liked the one with the bathtub, but I think I'll go a little more traditional.  I found a brand new 40-gallon gas hot water heater in the newspaper today for $100, so I'm going to give that a try.  My generator is a 7000 or 7200, so I think I'll be okay.  All I know is I get the first shower!!

Tammy
2005 Kawasaki Prairie 700!
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »

I use an electric hot water heater at camp, just because the trailer came with one. But if I was going to replace it, it will be with a gas one. Are you going this weekend?   

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
garym
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 03:02:38 PM »

i'll be at rr this weekend-staying motel down the street-camp site not ready yet-too cold for a tent
WickedBanshee

git r dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 04:47:26 PM »

http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,11325.0.html

I'm about 15mins from River Ranch off hwy 60
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 04:51:07 PM by WickedBanshee » Logged

Pentium D dual core 3.2 extreme
Asus P5ND2 sli mobo
CorsairTwin5400c4 2gb 667 memory
BFG 8600 gt oc PCI-e 512mb
Enermax noisetaker 600w power
Audigy2 zs sound 7.1
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 05:32:55 PM »

Hey, when you hook up an electric water heater to a generator, there are a few things to know. This goes for anything hooked up to a generator. I just retired after 32 years working for Florida Power Corp. at a power plant, so I know what I'm talking about here. This will help your generator and what is plugged into it last longer also.

1. Find the data plate that shows the amps it draws, we'll say 15 amps for example.
2. Multiply that times the voltage, we'll say 240v AC, for example.
    That gives you the watts usage.  240 x 15 = 3600 watts

Just add up the watts as you plug things in and you'll be OK.

Warrior

'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.  I really liked the one with the bathtub, but I think I'll go a little more traditional.  I found a brand new 40-gallon gas hot water heater in the newspaper today for $100, so I'm going to give that a try.  My generator is a 7000 or 7200, so I think I'll be okay.  All I know is I get the first shower!!

We have a 40 gallon electric heater, a pressure tank and pump. The generator I believe is a 5000. Pressure is great,  the pump goes on only when the pressure tank drops below the set pressure. Works like a champ.

'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com